Next week is my birthday and there are a few things I want: Nats playoff tickets, iPhone 5, withstand time by being 29 forever, the works. However, I use this space to highlight the organizations I care about and you should donate. Here it is:
- Washington Nationals Dream Foundation – I have been a supporter since 2008 and with several initiatives from education to health (and a winning team), this is one of many things going right for the Nats this year.
- Friends of Fort DuPont Ice Arena – During the “Give To the Max” event, I was introduced to Fort DuPont Ice Arena. I had a Jizz Cares contest to whatever Alex Semin did that night. As a result, $200 went to Fort DuPont Ice Arena. This year, Semin went to Carolina and the NHL has locked out its players…again. This is my appreciation to the organization.
- SHRM Foundation – I’ve been in HR for almost 8 years and with SHRM in 7 of those. A great foundation advancing and promoting HR to college students. Frankly, we need more of these so HR has moved to a strategic role in your business.
- Goodwill of Greater Washington – Many things to love: their work on get people back into the workforce and their stores. Also, my birthday lands on the “Festival of Latest Novelties” Day. Perfect time to shop at Goodwill.
- Thrive DC – Great organization helping the homeless getting back to their feet and have an opportunity. Also of note, I will be helping them filling their board of directors for next year. If you’re interested, contact me either by social media or at email@example.com
- Volunteer Fairfax – I have helped volunteer with them the past couple years and they do so many great things in the Fairfax community and also a great staff to boot.
- Help the Homeless DC – Finally, this is one of my favorite events to attend. However, this year has special meaning. I made this declaration almost this time last year:
I WILL wear a Smurfette costume if the #Nats win the World Series next year.— Tracy Tran (@tracytran) September 28, 2011
If the Nationals do win the World Series, I will wear the Smurfette outfit like this:
at this event in the name of charity. Of course, Strasburg is out, so there’s no shot of them winning (SMH). Still, it’s a great event to help the homeless in the DC area.
There you have it. As a bonus, I would also want companies to sponsor NatsJobs this upcoming postseason. Contact me for details. No pressure.